Saturday 23 May 2015

Edge attack by Swinging Rook (nyanko)

Figure. 1 is one position of my actual game with 5-dan player (I'm sente).
What do you move in this position (turn of swinging rook)?

figure. 1

In Figure. 1, the left side of the opponent's camp is guarded by G7b.
So, P-1e is good technique (figure. 2).

figure. 2

Edge attack is standard tactics in shogi.
In many cases, it's practiced by static rook side (for example, when attacking Mino castle).
However, edge attack by swinging rook is occasionally effective when the edge of opponent's camp is unguarded, such as figure. 1.
This is useful to know.

If the opponent will move Px1e, I will move P*1b, then L*1b, R*1a.
This attack is very severe.
From figure. 2, the actual game advanced as P-8f, Px1d, P*1b (figure. 3).
The opponent intend to endure by P*1b, but I had a means for continuing to attack moreover.

figure. 3

I moved P+1c in figure. 3, this is also technique (figure. 4).

 figure. 4

After figure. 4, the actual game is advanced as Px1c, P*1b, L*1b, P*1d, Px1d, R*1a (figure. 5).

 figure. 5

This attack is very sever and it's difficult for gote to defend.
If gote don't defend, the gote's king is mated by beginning with B*2a. And, if gote move K2b, I can take the gold by R+4a.
Additionally, if gote will defend by dropping major piece with B*2a or R2b, I will move P*1c(figure. 6). This is so powerful. In fact, my move Px1d between figure. 4 and figure. 5 is a means for enabling me to move P*1c, and this is technique again.

It's difficult for gote to defend and, in addition, my castle is still so solid.
Therefore the opponent judged as having no chance of winning, so resigned in the position of figure. 5.
The edge attack in the position of figure. 1 was vital.

 figure. 6

As said above, edge attack by swinging rook is occasionally very effective. If you know this, you will have chance to practice this and win someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment